Sunday, April 01, 2007

Article: Australian Women's Weekly - April 2007



Q&A with William McInnes




The handsome Blue Heelers and SeaChange star's latest role is playing former Australian Prime Minister John Curtin in ABC TV's Curtin.




Why this role? It's a great part of Australian political history, at the crossroads in World War II, when we were at risk of being invaded by Japan and when we realised we were alone - a tiny mob in a vast land surrounded by people who weren't particularly friendly.




What makes Curtin so special? It makes me sad that people know more about American presidents and British prime ministers than our own history. We tell his story, which is also our story.




What do you think of him? Coming from a Labor household, I grew up with Curtin, but we didn't portray him as a great white knight. He was warts and all, self-afflicted with alcoholism and riven with self-doubt. He was very brave, but a real worrier.




Are you a worrier? I worry about all sorts of things: whether I'll fit into my costume after lunch, about my parents and kids [Clem, 13, and Stella, eight], about our country and whether I've stood up for my beliefs. My parents did. They fought World War II for a way of life they believed in.




Do you worry about your career? I've had a great run. I've been able to be part of telling some great stories, which is what acting is about.




When are you happiest? When I've done a good job, am having a nice meal, spending time with my family, or winning a double.




What's your most embarrassing moment? I made a speech the other day with my fly undone. There were 900 people watching, so I couldn't do it up.




Do you embarrass your children? Yes, especially if I put in a dud performance and get a bad review. But I've come back sometimes from work and I've upset the kids. When I came back, bald, for The Shark Net, they didn't want to know me. In My Brother Jack, where I was 67, my daughter couldn't even say hello. With Curtin, I was playing 57 with a severe haircut and a lazy eye. I think they both looked at me and thought, "Yeugh!"




As told to Sue Williams




Curtin airs on ABC TV on Sunday, April 22 at 8.30pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home