Sunday, November 09, 2008

Article: Jetstar Magazine, November 2008

10 mins with… William McInnes

He’s just authored That’d Be Right, and stars in Channel Ten’s telemovie The Informant, and feature films Prime Mover and Blessed. Meet Renaissance Man William McInnes

WORDS KYLIE MILLER

People know you as an actor, yet you’ve written three books in three years. How do you see yourself?
I guess writing is up there with acting now, it’s not my sideline anymore. With acting, I’m lucky in that I can be more selective. The last four or five jobs I’ve done have been really good.

What is That’d Be Right about?
It’s sort of a memoir but it’s not a straight memoir – it ties in major sporting events and political events like elections, because I think that sport and politics have become intertwined. It’s what was actually happening in my life when some major events were happening. It’s a very Australian story. It’s a fairly true history of modern Australia, which is the subtitle. It’s a bit like The Life and Times of a Boofhead. That’s what it should be called!

How do you choose your projects?
I like movies or stories with a point to them. I loved working on Sarah’s film Look Both Ways, I liked ABC telemovie Curtin. I liked Unfinished Sky where we had enough time to make it and it’s saying something about Australia.

Who do you play in The Informant?
It’s about this guy who works for this crime authority because he’s very skilled. He finds himself involved in high-end crime from a low-level existence. I learned how to say a line in Russian but it sounded like Martian, and I got a lot of spray tans!

Is this the life you had imagined for yourself when you were younger?
I don’t know what I expected to be doing but I didn’t think I’d be here talking about my third book! Before the first book came out I was invited to sit on a panel at the writers’ festival in Brisbane with people like the Go- Betweens singer and songwriter Grant McLennan and author John Birmingham – the cultural milieu of Brisbane. In my youth I was probably the antithesis of those sorts of people. I was part rugger and moron. It’s amusing to think where you end up.

What will you do next?
I’ll write another book. Writing is a nice adjunct to acting. As the writer you’re the architect and as the actor, you’re the builder. I tend to write about things in my life because you write about what you know. I haven’t ruled out working overseas but you’ve got to stay there and I’m not interested in that. But it’s only a plane ride away, as they say in the classics.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home